About Magazine 360°
Magazine 360° captures audience metrics of magazine media content across multiple platforms and formats.
The Magazine 360° purpose is to provide to advertisers, agencies and publishers, a meaningful and authentic lens with which to view magazine media audience reach.
The Magazine 360° calculates total audience touchpoints by adding the following platform metrics together to provide a broader 360° view on magazine brands performance.
- Print (Latest Nielsen Readership (AIR) or in the absence of a readership figure the latest circulation measure
- Digital - Digital Editions, Websites & Email Newsletters
- Social platforms - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Brand Extensions – Events and One Shot Special Editions
The Magazine 360° at an individual magazine brand level is unduplicated within each platform, however when the individual platform metrics are combined, it creates a total duplicated Magazine 360° audience measure.
As some of the data is self-reported by publishers, each participating publisher authorises the MPA to validate data at any time and this forms a key component of the Magazine 360° Code of Conduct.
The only requirement for a publisher to participate in the Magazine 360° is to be a paid-up member of the MPA and agree to the code of conduct as below.
If you would like to add your publisher details and brands to the Magazine 360° site, please download and complete the spread sheet from here
Magazine 360° Code of Conduct
- Compulsory MPA Membership for Participating Publishers
- To participate in the full Magazine 360° the publisher must be a financial member of the Magazine Publishers Association of New Zealand (MPA).
- However publishers wishing to use the site ONLY to calculate and display their print circulation (Magazine 360° Circulation) do not have to be a financial member of the MPA, but if they are not, they will have to pay a fee (see below).
- Abide by the Rules of the MPA
- MPA members must agree to follow the rules of the MPA as set out in the Rules of the Magazine Publishers Association of New Zealand Incorporated. You can read the MPA rules here.
- Meet Magazine 360° Measurement Criteria
Magazine 360° digital metrics
How is the Magazine 360° calculated?
Magazine 360° uses data from leading third-party providers.
The Magazine 360° will only accept magazine brand metrics if they conform to the MPA specified methodology and approved source per metric criteria as laid out in Metrics. See Magazine 360° Metrics here.
Follow Magazine 360° Data Input and Validation Protocols
Participating publishers self-report their monthly Magazine 360° figures using the following process
- Secure publisher login and data entry. Publishers update their Magazine 360° figures monthly using a unique publisher login to unique data upload page. Once data submitted to the MPA, the publisher is unable to edit their data. The MPA has the authority to correct publisher data once submitted if deemed appropriate and in consultation with the publisher.
- For the launch of the Magazine 360° or if a magazine brand is participating for the first time, all metrics must be supplied to the MPA with supporting documentation (screen shots of report) to ensure all metrics are being reported using the correct methodology.
- MPA validates publisher monthly data prior to the publishing to Magazine 360°
- The MPA can request supporting documentation from publishers at any time to validate self-reported claims.
- The MPA will randomly audit 10% of our participating magazine brands per month requiring reporting screenshots to validate data.
Monthly Data Collection
With the objective of providing the latest magazine audience touchpoint data, magazine brands are required to update and input their Magazine 360° data monthly.
If a magazine brand fails to report current month data, the following process occurs.
- The Magazine 360° will indicate(flag) by brand when the data was last updated, by metric.
- If a brand fails to provide data for more than three months, the Magazine brand or brand metric will be removed from the Magazine 360°.
Magazine 360° Monthly Updates
The Magazine 360° will be updated monthly and published on the 20th of the month following or the first Monday after this if the 20th falls on a weekend or public holiday. i.e. March data is published on the Magazine 360° website in April.
Magazine 360° Challenge Process
The MPA has developed a challenge process allowing publishers figures to be challenged by other publishers/industry stakeholders through a disputes resolution process managed by the MPA.
- If the challenge process is activated, the Publisher who is being challenged has seven working days to supply documented proof supporting the reported data.
- If the Magazine 360° submitted data is proved to be incorrect, the publisher data will be removed from the Magazine 360° until correct data can be verified. The publisher would then be required to supply the MPA with supporting documentation for three months in line with the new magazine brand validation protocol
Magazine 360° circulation metrics
How is Magazine 360 circulation calculated?
Magazine 360° Circulation is the only part of the Magazine 360° that is open to non-MPA members (who pay a separate fee).
It is measured six monthly, with a rolling 12-month average displayed in Print 360 metrics.
As with the full Magazine 360, Magazine 360 Circulation will only accept brand metrics if they conform to the MPA specified methodology and approved source per metric criteria is laid out in Metrics. See Magazine 360° Metrics here.
Fees for non-members using Magazine 360 Circulation
Magazine 360 Circulation is free to members of the MPA.
Publishers who are not MPA members will pay a fee to be part of the Magazine 360 Circulation, as below:
- $250 per magazine per annum for magazines with a circulation up to 20,000
- $350 per magazine per annum for magazines over 20,000 circ.
There is also a $100 joining fee. Publishers who are not currently subscribed to the ABC metric, but wish to use Magazine 360 Circulation, will be charged the $100 joining fee. Publishers who are MPA members and are not subscribed to the ABC will not be charged a joining fee if they wish to display their circulation measurement. After July 2020 all publishers who have not transitioned will be charged the fee.
Data input for Magazine 360 Circulation
Go to magazine360.co.nz and click on Publisher Login. On the Publisher Control Panel, find your title and click on “manage Print metrics”. Enter the figures for your circulation and your paid subscriber number. When you have finished click “Send to MPA”. This will enter your figures into the back end of the website. The MPA will publish circulation figures for all titles on the agreed circulation release date
If you are not a member of the MPA you will need to pay a separate fee to use Magazine 360 Circulation. Contact [email protected] or [email protected] and ask to become a non-MPA member of the Magazine 360. Once you have paid your fee you will receive a publisher login, and the process will be the same as above.
Verification for Magazine 360 Circulation
At least 15 per cent of magazine titles using the Magazine 360 Circulation measurement will be audited by the MPA each six-month period. If you are audited, you will be asked to supply Print Run documents for every issue in that period; plus Ovato documentation showing unsold retail copies; plus a breakdown of how you arrived at your publisher internal copies number. Every title will be audited at least once every three years.
Magazine 360° Data Terms & Conditions
The Magazine 360° audience measure is open to be used by anyone on the following basis
- The Magazine 360° is always sourced when used, referencing publication date.
- The most current data is used
Use of Magazine 360° Data
One of the objectives of the Magazine 360° is to provide access to information in a user-friendly format in keeping with user preferences.
The Magazine 360° allows users to view and download monthly top line summaries by Total Magazine 360°, publisher, brand, category, and frequency using the following formats.
- Copy link